Friday, June 5, 2009

identity

I am rereading Julius Lester's book "On Becoming a Jew." Lester is a great writer and this story of his transformation to Judaism is riveting. I shared this passage from his book with my friend, where Lester, quoting Merton, speculates that"...identity is one's witness to the truth in one's life." And so, to steal a slogan, "we are all witnesses."

And then of course there is the philosophical conundrum that we are presented with..."Because we cannot "catch reality in our net," Wittgenstein radicalizes Kant's prescription that "we are neither suspended from heaven nor anchored on earth," by suggesting that Kant's dilemma has less to do with our position in the world and more to do with the more bewitching dilemma of speaking meaningfully about our position in the world." Thomas Merton's contemplation: rarefied emblem of being human and living in mystery.

What is true right now is that I am "Dad" because two little people call me so and I feel that responsibility. I still have to figure out how to speak more meaningfully about who else I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment